Dunskey was built around 1510 by the Adairs of Kilhilt. It replaced an earlier building which had been plundered and burned by Sir Alexander McCulloch of Myrtoun, Keeper of Falcons to James IV, in 1489 after laying siege to the castle and starving out its defenders. It was extended and remodelled by Viscount Montgomery, who was laird between 1608 and 1634. It passed to the Reverend James Blair in 1648, but was ruinous as early as 1684. The interior of the castle is not accessible. A cliff-top footpath leads from the south end of Portpatrick's waterfront
Castle of St John
The Castle of St John, built in 1510 and alternatively known as Stranraer Castle, is a medieval tower house in the centre of Stranraer. It was used as a government base during the Killing Times of the 1680s and later converted into the town jail. Open to the public since 1990, displays and videos tell the story of the Castle, the Covenanters and the Victorian prison.
Cardoness Castle is the well-preserved ruin of a tower house of 15th century date, the ancient home of the McCullochs. The architectural details inside the tower are of a very high quality and the battlements give good views over Fleet Bay and inside, a number of splendid architectural details include particularly fine fireplaces. This property is managed by Historic Scotland.
Magnificent 1680's castle in pink sandstone on Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry's Douglas ancestral lands, splendid rooms contain historic treasures - paintings, silver, porcelain and fine furniture. As well as the castle other attractions include; Cycle museum, gardens, visitors centre, craft workshops, castle gift shop, cycle hire, tearoom, adventure playground, bird of prey, woodland and riverside walks. 4 miles north of Thornhill.
Threave Castle is a five storey, rectangular tower house, one of the earliest in Scotland. It was built by Archibald 'the Grim' Douglas, Warden of the West March, shortly after he became Lord of Galloway in 1369. He became the 3rd Earl of Douglas in 1388 and died here at Threave in 1400, one of the most powerful nobles in Scotland. The castle is open daily from April to September. It is signposted from the A75, and there is a walk of around half a mile to the small ferry, which occasionally does not operate if the river is too high. There is plenty parking, toilets, and small gift shop, there is also a tearoom at the farm.
Comlongon Castle is a massive five storey, 15th century stone tower. The entrance still has its iron yett but the moat and courtyard disappeared with the building of the 19th century mansion. Comlongon Castle is located west of Clarencefield. 10 miles south-east of Dumfries on the A780-A75-B724. The site is open as a hotel and restaurant.
Culzean (pronounced kuh-lane) is located on the SW coast, 10 miles south of the lovely town of Ayr. It's more of a huge chateau than a castle, per se, but most impressive nonetheless. A part of the house is still occupied by the administrator of the site. Culzean sits on a very impressive cliff overlooking the Firth of Clyde. The grounds and gardens are as impressive as the house itself.
General Eisenhower used the house during the war and was given some sort of honorary title to the place afterwards. There's a large exhibit pertaining to this inside the house.
Luxury self catering by the sea. Short breaks available all year round. 20% discount for arrivals within 14 days.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to our e-mailing list and be the first to know about our forthcoming offers and news from Knockinaam.
OFFERS AND PACKAGES
Find out about our special event weekends and breaks at the Lodge throughout the year.
Knockinaam is ideal for small intimate weddings, special events, club tours and house parties.